WANT TO WORK
We work hard but play hard and are always on the
lookout for quality people who want to be involved
in something awesome!
Product Design Engineer
Are you an experienced Industrial Designer with an engineering eye and an interest in making things work? We are looking for a highly-skilled Product Design Engineer to join our consultancy team.
Are you interested in joining a dynamic, social team that works on awesome projects? Blender Design is an award-winning product design consultancy based in Auckland. We are a team of creative minded people that specialise in the design and development of technology products, marine equipment, and non-consumer goods. We shape great ideas, help bring concepts to life and build them into successful products using the latest tech and best practices. We are on the hunt for a top notch individual, with original ideas abound to work with a wide variety of clientele.
Our Product Design Engineer role sits directly between our Industrial Designers and Mechanical Engineers, working closely with them to develop products through to manufacture. With a focus on accuracy and production detailing you will have the ability to problem solve and find innovative and elegant solutions to design challenges. You will also be able to communicate this at a high level within our team, and externally to our clients and suppliers.
Solidworks experience is a must in this role. You will produce complex top down Solidworks assemblies and technical drawings. You will also maintain and develop key design elements and requirements from concept drawings and detailed sketches through to product specifications. You will also spend time prototyping and carrying out product testing, using our workshop as an extension of your desk. Having an advanced knowledge of tooling and production processes will allow you to provide insight and deeper understanding while designing for manufacture.
Working in a consultancy will allow you to be involved in projects from beginning to end, with key touch points for this role being within the DFM stage. This will grow your experience in planning projects, maintaining budgets and ensuring projects are completed on time.
Blender offers the chance to grow within the wider business and encourages staff to get involved with areas of their personal interest – making it an excellent place to work for someone with a passion for product design.
Skills and experience
- Previous extensive experience (2+ years) in a similar role, developing products from concept to production
- Extensive and demonstrable experience using Solidworks [aptitude testing for shortlisted candidates]
- A genuine passion and keen eye for beautifully designed products
- Understanding and demonstrable experience of NPD processes and best practices
- Understanding and demonstrable experience of manufacturing processes and prototyping technologies, in particular injection moulding
- Knowledge of LCA methods and principles
- Exceptional communication skills and the ability to work effectively in a team
- Excellent time management and organisation skills
- A desire to continually learn, contribute to our team and create change
- An interest in cutting edge technology, innovation and well-designed things
It would be ideal if you had …
- Industrial Design or Product Design qualification
We take pride in our workplace culture and environment. In doing so, we form a closely knit team that leverages our collective experience in supporting one another on project goals.
Our open-plan, Albany based office boasts a well-equipped workshop, sit-stand desk configurations, and two comfortable meeting rooms for client and project interactions.
We have a suite of 3D printers at our disposal, resource library, ping pong table, and coffee machine – steam wand prowess will be viewed favourably.
Salary will be in line with your experience and ability.
If you’re a self motivated person, ready to hit the ground running and eager to usher in the new world of sustainable product design, then we want to hear from you!
Applications without a current portfolio will not be considered. Only short-listed applicants will be contacted.